Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Some wildlife in the yard

This is Sammy, our live in-the-back yard Garter snake.  Some mornings I'll find him sunning himself on the deck or curled up on a piece of flagstone out in the sunshine.  By the time I get my camera, he's moved.  We've seen him in our yard for the past 5 years.  I know he also frequents my next door neighbor's yard as well.
Although this photo isn't as sharp as it could be, it gives you an idea of how big Sammy is, about 3'.  With three bird feeders in the yard, a fish pond, many fruits and vegetables, Sammy's presence seems to keep unwanted rodents away.  As long as the squirrels just take the fruit from the tops of the trees, I will share with them.
There is a Mama Dove sitting on her nest in the willow tree out front.
The neighbor's honey bees use our bird bath as their watering hole.


This is the biggest bumble bee I've ever seen.
He is so large, he can't get his whole body into the snapdragon.
It's been fun watching him in the plants for the past few days.

1 comment:

  1. Lori, your garden is beautiful! Even Sammy! ;) My snapdragon's have all died about two weeks ago from the brutal Florida heat. But they looked so pretty while they lasted. Love reading your blog! :)

    ReplyDelete