Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Grilled Asparagus

Roasted Asparagus is delicious and so easy to do on the grill.  A little olive or rosemary oil, some garlic and pepper, and that's it.  Right now it is so plentiful in the stores , that I make it on grill several times a week.  I do have 12 plants in my garden, but I treat them like grape tomatoes.  When they get to be about 10" tall, I just snap them off and eat them while I'm working in the yard.
We've all heard the old tale that said get the thin stalks because they were more tender, but that really isn't true.  I've started peeling the bottom 3-4" of each asparagus stalk before it's cooked and WOW, what a difference.  I only cut off less than an inch from the bottom of the stalk, and then peel above that.  It is so tender.  I use to bend the stalk and let it break wherever it wanted, and that sometimes took up to 3 inches off the end.  I know you must recall the times you've been eating the end of the asparagus,  it just doesn't want to break down, and you feel like you are chewing on a straw.  Try this technique just once, and if you're not pleased,  then don't do it again.  Yes it is a little time consuming, but well worth the effort.

No comments:

Post a Comment