Saturday, August 27, 2011

Roasted Banana Muffins

I love collecting cookbooks from restaurants and recently acquired the PlumpJack Cookbook.  Their story started in 1992 when they opened a wine shop in San Francisco.   Now they have seven restaurants, two hotels, two wine shops, a winery and a lounge, all in California.  Anyway, I was inspired by a recipe for Roasted Banana Muffins.  
I often roast vegetables before making soups, but had never thought of roasting fruit before adding it to the batter.  So I roasted two very ripe bananas until their skins were black, which was only about 10 minutes, and rather than doing it in the oven, did this outside on the grill while we were cooking dinner last night.
Roasting anything really brings out the sweetness in the fruit or vegetable.  WOW!!! These are great.  I also added toasted pecans, and used buttermilk for part of the milk requirement.  I didn't use those little paper cupcake liners they called for in the recipe, which made my muffins more crispy on the outside which my husband loved.  I'll do this again, and highly suggest that you try it with your favorite banana bread or muffin recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment