Saturday, August 6, 2011

I have Kale growing everywhere.  All those ruffles around the edges are so pretty.  We add some to our nightly salad.  Kale is a member of the cabbage family, which in itself makes a lot of people not even want to try it.  But when it's chopped or minced, according to Wikipedia,  it's believed to have potent anti-cancer properties, due to sulforaphane.
Among other things, it's high in beta carotene, vitamins C, K, lutein, and a notable amount of calcium.
Another really cool thing about Kale is, at the end of the first growing season I cut it off at ground level and it comes up the following year. It's actually bigger and better the second year, then you need to pull the entire plant out of the ground at the end of the season.
I'm really dying to make Kale chips.  It seems to be in the 'good for you' buzz.  I know I am growing enough of it, just need not to have so many over 90 degree days...don't want to super heat the house just because I'm baking something.  But I will be making them soon and I'll share with you how they turned out.

No comments:

Post a Comment