Monday, September 26, 2011

Olive Balls

I made this appetizer for some friends the other day.  When my boys were small it was always requested for family get togethers.  The only problem was in making sure there were some on the plate when the guests arrived. 
My Mom gave me this recipe but I think the original came from Bisquick and made 45.
1 C shredded cheddar cheese (4 oz)
1/4 C butter, softened 
1/4 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 C Bisquick baking mix
1(5 oz) jar pimento stuffed olives.
Heat the oven to 400. Mix cheese,  butter and Worcestershire sauce;
then mix in baking mix til dough forms (work with hands if necessary). 
Pat olives completely dry on paper towels. 
Shape 1 tsp dough around each olive. 
Bake on lightly greased cookie sheet til light golden brown, about 10 minutes.

Now that I'm in the mile high city, I've had to adjust for altitude-
Heat oven to 425. Decrease baking mix to 3/4 C and add 1/4 cup all purpose or white whole wheat flour. 
A few other changes:  Now I use a good quality white sharp cheddar, like Dubliner Cheese; and I've replaced the small olives with large ones, so it makes about 30 olive balls.  Best served warm, but room temperature works also.  They are almost addicting.



No comments:

Post a Comment