Sunday, September 25, 2011

Kale Chips

With the abundance of Kale growing in my gardens, I have been eager to try the latest food craze- KALE CHIPS. 
They are low in calories, and come with a nutritional boost of  Vitamins A, C, Calcium and Potassium.  According to my October issue of Eating Well magazine, a cup of Kale has six times the daily value of bone-healthy vitamin K.
For two people I used one large stem and cut the leafy parts away from the center vein, then tore them into two inch pieces.  It made about eight cups.  Drizzle half a tablespoon of extra-virgin-olive-oil over the dry leaves, sprinkle with only 1/8 teaspoon of salt and work that in with your hands. 
They baked in the top third of a 400 degree oven, on one cookie sheet about 10 minutes. They really were very tasty.  So in addition to adding to soups and salads, I now have another use for my kale.  Try not to overcrowd them; use two sheets if you need to and switch them from top to bottom half way through baking.  They are definitely worth trying.

No comments:

Post a Comment