Friday, August 31, 2012

The colors of August

I find it hard to believe that stores are advertising their 'end of summer' sales, and friends are having their 'end of summer' BBQ's.  Come on people, it's not the end of summer.  A typical Denver summer averages 35 days over 90 degrees.  This year we are currently at 65 days, still counting, and the forecast hasn't changed much for next week.  Don't bother me with calender milestones, my garden is growing strong and some plants and vegetables are getting a second flush.
The raspberry canes are loaded.  Now I don't feel so bad about the Robin feeding her baby birds a good portion of my raspberries this past spring.
The Jackmanii Clematis is setting blooms again.
There is something about these petite cucumber flowers that I find adorable.
I love this steel gray-blue color of the Tuscan Kale.
The porch geraniums are starting up again.  I planted more seeds in the garden today;  a few varieties of lettuce, spinach, arugula and kale.  They should germinate while it's still warm.
Northern Sea Oats.. I really like their little wheat like flower heads.  They do reseed like crazy, but are easy to control.  Another wonderful thing about them: they are one of the only grasses that will live in part shade. 
With a full moon overhead, I believe I've had good garden karma this year.





No comments:

Post a Comment