Thursday, July 10, 2014

Chive Blossom Vinegar

I love the pretty lavender colored blossoms perched on top of my garden chives.  Occasionally I chop a few blossoms to toss in the salad bowl for more color and a little zip.
 
It never occurred to me that I could use them to make vinegar until I saw an article on Food52 which was inspired by Marisa McClellan's Food in Jars blog.  I recognized that name as I had read Marisa's book also titled Food In Jars, when I started serious canning a couple of years ago.  Making flavored vinegar is one of the easiest things you can do. 
Simply snip enough blossoms from the chives to fill a glass jar at least half to three quarters full.  Rinse well and either spin in a salad spinner or roll up in a clean dish towel to remove the excess moisture.  Spread the blossoms out on another towel to finish drying. 
When you are satisfied they are dry, place the blossoms in a glass jar and fill with enough distilled white vinegar to cover.  Seal and set in a cool location out of direct sunlight.
After setting for up to two weeks the vinegar has a lovely pink hue with a mild light onion flavor.  Taste every couple of days so you'll know when the vinegar reaches the right flavor note for you.
When you've got it to your liking strain the vinegar, discard the blossoms and pour that pretty pink nectar into a clean bottle.  
Don't despair if you are not growing chives this year, many farmers markets sell chive blossoms, just make a note for yourself to plan a space for them in next years garden.  Aside from adding a fresh zip to your salad dressing this vinegar is also great sprinkled over grilled potatoes and other veggies.

No comments:

Post a Comment