Monday, October 10, 2011

The Greenhouse

About 9 years ago, I bought a small,  portable 8' X 8' greenhouse.  I used it that first winter, before I really knew what I was doing, and haven't used it since.  The time has come to use it.  I put it up this past week over a portion of the garden.
Doesn't it look like the tomato plants are trying to bust out of the house?  This picture makes me laugh, like they are trying to make a break for it.  We were really close to freezing last night.  I have 5 other tomato plants that I had to wrap individually, only because they have so many green tomatoes on them that I am not ready to give them up.  Usually, at this time of the year I would just let them go.  
We'll see what the difference is between those on the outside that I wrapped in sheets and those on the inside of the greenhouse.  My daily high temp should be 70 degrees for the week.  I'm thinking of leaving the frame in place all winter, but taking the exterior walls down.  This way I'll get the moisture in the ground, and given the right conditions I may be able to get some vegetables growing in my own green house early in the spring when I put the exterior walls back up.

No comments:

Post a Comment