Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Let the Games Begin

As much as I enjoy watching the the best athletes in the world compete in the Winter Olympics, those games are over and now it's my turn to say Let the Games Begin. I'm talking about the garden games. Plant, nurture, cultivate, compost, harvest, and all the other events of summer gardening. The Seed Catalogs are arriving faster than I can empty the mailbox. Already having more seeds than a person needs, I still have to flip through every page just in case there is something that I MUST have. It's really encouraging to see the number of organic seed options that are showing up.
The last frost date in the Denver area typically coincides with Mothers Day during the second week of
May. Every year I aim to start my indoor seeds by March 15th, but this year I will have the use of a greenhouse for nearly a month, so I am starting earlier.
Naturally, organic seed starting mix is a must and a garden notebook. You'd think I was writing a novel the way I take notes on planting, but it really is helpful to be able to look back and see what worked and what didn't.
The lettuce, spinach, carrot, radish, potato, squash and herbs will be direct sown right into the ground sometime in April. Right now I'm only concerned with the vegetables that need to be a good size seedling in order to fully mature during my short growing season.
So let the games begin.

No comments:

Post a Comment