Sunday, October 6, 2013

Pineapple Tomatillos & Oatmeal

For the past several years I've been growing Pineapple Tomatillos, tossing them into salads and eating them as a treat while I worked in the garden.  They are much smaller than the regular green or purple variety, about the size of your thumbnail.  In fact the only thing they all have in common is the little paper lantern that precedes the fruit, so to shield it as it grows inside.
There is the age old question... is the tomato a fruit or a vegetable?
It never mattered to me and still doesn't, but I came up with a wonderful use for these tiny little fruit flavored morsels purely by accident.
Walking to the garden to harvest fresh raspberries for my morning oatmeal I noticed some ripe Pineapple Tomatillos laying on the ground underneath the plant.  As I picked up the little fruits, shucking their lanterns to the ground, I tossed the them into my bowl.  SHAZAM!  What a great flavor combination. 
I can't believe I never thought of this before.  I LOVE IT!

No comments:

Post a Comment