Thursday, October 31, 2013

Fall Colors

Happy Halloween! There is no denying it, fall is here.  There was a good amount of wind blowing through my neighborhood all day.  Most of the trees were already bare, but those that were not, are now.  Saturday night we turn back our clocks and if you are like me, you are wondering how is it possible that tomorrow is November 1st?  Honestly, where did this year go?
Fortunately I love the Fall colors, with so many shades of orange, red and yellow.  Nothing says Fall quite like copper mums. 

My birdhouse gourds were drying on the deck until freezing overnight temperatures drove me to move them to the basement.  Initially my plan was to do something creative with them this fall, but I've learned they need about six months to dry out, so this will have to be a spring project, at the earliest.
While collecting the garden vegetable markers I came across some overlooked carrots, nice and sweet.
Leeks to me, are the perfect offspring of an onion and a scallion.  This time of year they are just begging to be dug up, so I add them to many dishes.
The three year old Japanese Maple at it's peak in fall color.
Lastly, I appreciate Fall for the unobstructed view of evening sunsets through the leafless trees.

No comments:

Post a Comment