Thursday, November 17, 2011

Butterscotch Candies

Had lunch in Lodo today, which is slang for Lower Downtown in Denver.  When I left the restaurant they had single wrapped root beer barrels in a bowl at the front door.  Do you remember those?  Almost immediately my thoughts were of my Grandmother and the small grocery store on Main Street we had in New Hartford, Iowa when I was a little girl.  For some reason I was inspired to make butterscotch pieces.   
I came home and searched through my recipes for Butterscotch Hard Candy, which I had planned to make many years ago but never got around to.  It doesn't take much- butter, sugar, light corn syrup, water and white vinegar.  However, I did discover that both of my candy thermometers were broken, but I didn't let that ruin my plan.
After boiling the mixture, you pour it into a buttered foil wrapped 10" x 15" pan and let it slightly harden for 3 minutes, then score it.  Let it cool completely and break the squares apart.  The candy melts in your mouth,  just the way I remembered.

No comments:

Post a Comment