Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Baking with Whole Grain Flours

As much as I don't want summer to end, I do enjoy the little chill in the air that inspires baking again.  When it's 95 degrees for over 50 days of your summer, you can't tell me that anyone wants to turn on the oven for any length of time.  I discovered this book at the library, and while reading through it one night, I knew I was going to order one the next morning.
There are so many more types of flour besides white and whole wheat. Some of them you've probably never heard of:  Amaranth, Barley, Buckwheat, Corn, Kamut, Multi grain, Oat, Quinoa, Rye, Spelt, or Teff?  The author has put together a wonderful assortment of recipes with a separate chapter highlighting each of these flours.  It includes everything from cookies, scones, cakes, crackers, breads, waffles, muffins, pancakes, granolas, biscuits, tarts and more.  I've been acquiring all these new flours and look forward to baking with them.  This will help ease the pain of my gardens going to sleep for the winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment