Sunday, April 10, 2011

Quinoa- the everyday superfood

This is my new favorite cookbook;  it's written by Patricia Green and Carolyn Hemming.  I've had it for 4 weeks, and can't stop reading it.  I've been in love with Quinoa for a couple of years, and was thrilled to come upon this book.  Quinoa is the only food that contains all of the eight essential amino acids that our bodies need. There are 170 recipes in this book, some people might think that's enough, but I wish there was one for everyday of the year.
I know I've posted before about this Soda Oat Bread, but I've been changing it a little each time I make it.  We had hail, snow and rain last night, so I decided it would be a good day for some soup and homemade bread. I've replaced 1/4 Cup of the regular flour with quinoa flour, added 4 minced garlic cloves, and 1 Tbl of garlic toasted quinoa seeds with 1 Tbl of sesame seeds on top.  Bread is getting healthier all the time.

This is the garlic toasted quinoa as it comes out from the oven.  In the book they suggest you "use this crunchy, savory topping in place of croutons on any of your favorite salads."  And it is great on salads.  I keep it in the refrigerator, just like they say to do, and it keeps fine. 
   
Garlic Toasted Quinoa--

1 Tbl butter
1/4 tsp garlic salt
1/2 C quinoa
Preheat the oven to 350.  Melt the butter in a small frying pan on medium heat and add the garlic salt.  Remove from the heat and add the quinoa, tossing lightly to coat with butter.
Spread the quinoa on a large baking sheet.  Bake for 10-12 minutes, until the quinoa is toasted and fragrant.  Remove from the oven and cool.  Use immediately or store in a sealed container in the refrigerator for 6 to 8 weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment