Wednesday, June 3, 2015

March Snow, April Flowers & May Showers

April showers bring May flowers... well that wasn't the case for Colorado this year. March snow brought us April flowers. May was the rainiest month I've seen in 16 years with something like 29 days of rain. Mostly it was good, the main setback being a late start for those that plant vegetable gardens. The wet month had a few snow days thrown in as well which nipped the fruit trees that had started to bud, so there will be no back yard fruit for the squirrels, birds and myself to fight over this year. 
Late April tulips, grape hyacinths and basket of gold were a promising sight for winter eyes.

Fragrant lilacs perfumed the air.
Hellebore's so delicate and dainty are still in bloom.
All that rain brought ducks to the back yard.
Once they discovered the fish pond, I decided their visit was over and they had to move on. At last the rainy days are diminishing and my garden is planted. I'm definitely looking forward to summers' bounty.

On a personal note, when my Dad passed away last year, I needed to take some time off. From a paragraph in The Love Song of Miss Queenie Hennessy, "...you instinctively connect with it but because another person does, and keeping their things in your heart takes you back to them." My Dad loved gardening. I'm glad we share that.

No comments:

Post a Comment