Saturday, May 19, 2012

Looking forward to summer blooms

Memorial Day is next weekend, but wasn't it just New Years Eve?  I know the days are numbered for the last of my flowering bulbs and early spring flowers, so I'm setting my sights on the glorious summer bloomers.
These three feet tall Fritillaria bloom in late April or May and have colorful downward facing flowers on the top of their stem, like upside down tulips. 
Iris's are one of the easiest perennials to grow.  They like to be in full sun and well drained soil.  For optimal growth they should be divided every three years, about two months after they've bloomed.   Looks like it's time for me to do that to this iris bed.
Columbines have a lot to offer.  They attract hummingbirds, are drought tolerant once established, come in a variety of colors, and don't require special soil conditions.  Mine have reached their peak.
Now we are looking at summer:  Lupines have a unique palmate leaf shape with flowers that grow erect as spikes.  They add such an ornamental look to any garden.
Wisteria is from the pea family.  It thrives in full sun and can handle poor soil but likes it moist and well drained.  The flowers develop in buds near the base of the previous year's growth.   
Colorado produces delicious peaches that are grown on the Western Slope.  I'm crossing my fingers and hoping I can do the same in my yard.

No comments:

Post a Comment