Thursday, February 2, 2012

Fresh Horseradish

Woah, stand back!!  When you dig into a horseradish root you can smell it long before you see it. This weekend I decided to dig up the horseradish that I planted last year.  I read that it can grow out of control, similar to mint, so first a 20 gallon bucket was submerged into the ground, filled with soil, and then the horseradish was planted.
As the shovel hit the roots of the horseradish the aroma rose from the ground.  I purchase fresh horseradish root from the store quite often, that's why I thought it might be worth the effort to grow it. 
Let me tell you, this is much more pungent than anything you can buy in the store, but that's a good thing.  After washing it, I cut off some pieces and replanted four sections with roots.  Of course I made one of my favorites for dinner that night: horseradish crusted tuna (recipe in earlier blog 12/28/2010.)
The next night I made Creamy Horseradish Dressing from the Sunflower Market December 2011 issue.  

In a medium bowl whisk together 1/2 cup whole or lowfat yogurt, 1 teaspoon rice vinegar, and 1-2 tablespoons freshly grated horseradish.
It was great on a simple salad of mixed greens, chick peas, thinly sliced red onion, kalamata olives and pumpkin seeds.  You don't need much of this because it really has a kick.

Happy Ground Hog Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment