Saturday, July 23, 2011

The Smoke Bush

There are at least seven varieties of the Smoke Bush.  It's a deciduous shrub, a member of the Sumac family, that grows like a tree in zones 4-9.  It gives year round interest with nice fall color.
This particular shrub, is Cotinus Grace, growing at Denver Botanical Gardens and it grabbed my full attention.  When it blooms during the summer, it appears to be covered in pink lace.  They can grow to 15' X 15'.
Here's a close up of the bloom, it really is pretty.  I'm thinking of yanking a tree out of my yard and putting one in.  It requires full sun, is tolerant of drought conditions and salt but prefers well drained soil and is a slow grower.  I believe I have the  perfect spot for it.
Lastly, I want to share with you the serenity of this peaceful pond at Denver Botanical Gardens.

No comments:

Post a Comment